Monday, March 30, 2009

Wish in One Hand...

Bob took a picture of me fishing a few days ago. I didn't like it, of course. But, ever confident of my photography and computer skills, he said, well, you can Photoshop it, can't you? Absolutely, I said. And here it is. Now I know, some of you are going to think "But that baseball cap has obviously been altered!" and I'll admit, that's true. But that's just what you call "artistic liberty", and anyway, I did it to make a point. See the picture on the top? Well, that woman loves auctions, swimming in the ocean, hiking, marbles, cooking on the grill on her sailboat, lying on a beach in the sun, reading, her husband, her son, her family and friends, and a thousand other things. She does not, as yet, love sailing. For that reason, when this odyssey ends in about a week, she is going to fly back to Charlotte, while her beloved husband (together with three of his newest sailing buddies) brings the boat back North. This does not mean she will never sail again. It certainly does not mean she didn't have a wonderful time on this trip, for the most part. It simply means that she has had all the sailing fun she can handle, for now.
See the woman on the left? She's going to sail back with the men. She's going to catch fish, fillet and grill them. She's going to
bake bread every morning, keep the coffee fresh, hot and plentiful, wash all the dirty clothes in lye soap and seawater. If the sails rip, she'll mend them. If the GPS fails, she'll steer by the stars. At night, she'll play the harp and sing sea chanties.

Will she ever be frightened? No. Will she ever cry? No. Will she ever wish she were somewhere else, anywhere else but on this boat? No way! Look at her hat!
She loves sailing!

Bob and the boys will sail April 4th, weather permitting. The trip should take 3-4 days. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm assuming you won't be especially interested in my plane ride...


1 comment:

GUY et SYLVIE said...

I loved your article, made me laugh real hard, also, made me feel better!!! I so completly understand you. Thank you for your honesty and humour, it sure puts a smile on my face!

Take care Beautiful, I miss you!

Sylvie xx